Finding Aid of the Baum Family Papers, 1700 – 1984
|Outer Banks History Center
|Repository:||Outer Banks History Center.|
|Title:||Baum Family Papers, 1700 – 1984|
|Language of Materials:||Materials in English|
|Location:||For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Outer Banks History Center.|
|Abstract:||The Baum family has a long history of living on the Outer Banks; it is likely it is one of the oldest families that settled there. The family can trace roots back to the early 1700s and owned extensive property in Currituck and surrounding counties.|
|The materials in this collection primarily relate to the genealogy/family history of the Baum family of Currituck County. The collection includes correspondence, financial records, genealogical material, deeds, wills, publications and photographs. Many of the materials are photocopies and not original.|
|Extent:||.15 cubic feet,|
Copyright is retained by the authors of these materials, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law (Title 17 US Code). Individual researchers are responsible for using these materials in conformance with copyright law as well as any donor restrictions accompanying the materials.
The Baum family has a long history of living on the Outer Banks; it is likely that it is one of the oldest families that settled there. The family can trace roots back to the early 1700s and owned extensive property in Currituck and the surrounding counties. Some of the better known family members include Josepheus Baum and Washington Franklin Baum. Josepheus had a windmill located between Poyner’s and Paul Gamiels Hills. Washington Franklin Baum, a native of Wanchese, was a Dare County Recorders court judge for twenty-six years. The bridge that connects Manteo to south Nags Head was named for him and was dedicated in 1962.
The materials in this collection primarily relate to genealogy and family history of the Baum family of Currituck County. The genealogical charts and family Bible records, as well as the 1840 and 1850 census for Currituck County, trace multiple family members. There are also photocopies of individual wills and deeds pertaining to property owned by different family members, including a photocopy of a deed for the Caffey’s Inlet Lifesaving Station. Local history publications include Captain James Wimble, His Maps, and the Colonial Cartography of the North Carolina Coast by William P. Cumming and booklets marking Currituck County’s Bicentennial and Tricentennial celebrations.
The Baum Family Papers are arranged by subject and by document type. They are arranged into the following series: Correspondence, Financial Records, Genealogy, Deeds, Wills, Publications and Photographs.
Online Catalog Headings
These and related materials may be found under the following headings in online catalogs.
|Bridges–North Carolina–Dare County|
|Caffey’s Inlet Lifesaving Station|
|Deeds–North Carolina–Currituck County|
|Camden County (N.C.)–Genealogy|
|Currituck County (N.C.)–Genealogy|
|Currituck County (N.C.)–History|
|Currituck Sound (N.C.)|
|Dare County (N.C.)–Genealogy|
|Pasquotank County (N.C.)|
|Poplar Branch Township (N.C.)|
Additional information on topics found in this collection may be found in the Manuscript and Archives Reference System (MARS) http://www.ncarchives.dcr.state.nc.us.
|33MSS-4, Lillie Jacob Baum Baum diaries|
|Papers, 1700-1984 (1 box, 20 folders)|
|Folder 1:1.1||Finding Aid|
|Folder 1:2.1||George G. Sears to Mrs. Baum, May 13, 1935|
|Folder 1:3.1||Pension Distribution|
|Folder 1:3.2||Sales Log of Property on Vessels found on Body’s Island|
|Folder 1:4.1||1840 Census, Camden County (N.C.)|
|Folder 1:4.2||1850 Census, Camden County (N.C.)|
|Folder 1:4.3||Genealogical Table|
|Folder 1:4.4||Relationship Deed Books|
|Pasquotank County (N.C.), 1700-1777|
|Camden County (N.C.), 1777-1828|
|Folder 1:5.1||Caffey’s Inlet LSS, April 28, 1870|
|Folder 1:5.2||Narrow Shore, Poplar Branch Township|
|Folder 1:5.3||Islands in the Currituck Sound|
|Folder 1:6.1||Joseph Baum|
|Folder 1:6.2||Joseph White|
|Folder 1:6.3||Matilda “Polly” Baum|
|Folder 1:7.1||Captain James Wimble, His Maps, and the Colonial Cartography of the North Carolina Coast by William P. Cumming|
|Folder 1:7.2||Currituck County Bicentennial Celebration Booklet|
|Folder 1:7.3||Currituck County Tricentennial Booklet|
|Folder 1:8.1||Daniel Baum Family Reunion|
|Folder 1:8.2||Washington Baum Bridge|